Tuesday, June 15, 2010

iris of my eye


In case you didn't know, I LOVE Iris'. They are definitely one of my top favorites. I guess that I will claim them as my favorite rhizome.
Interesting fact, the Greek translation for Iris is rainbow. I would guess that it is because there is such a variety of colors to pick from.
If I had the space, and the plants didn't have to be split so often, I would want one of each.

This was our plants second spring after being last split and transplanted. The flowers have been abundant. We have loved watching them stretch upward and unveil their beauty.
They have thrived in our yard (minus the yellow that never made it). They have thrived so well, that some plants have nearly doubled in size since last spring. They are due for some splitting later this season. Always a sad thing to take away their perfection and scar them until they fill back in the following year. But, I want them to remain in a clump formation, not spread as they would like. They would surely take over the rest of our plants if we would let them.

If you want to add one of these beauties to your yard, let us know.

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful! Iris are my Mom's favorite flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails