Monday, May 11, 2009

Unexpected Gift-Or So I Thought

Why do kiddos love to unwrap gifts? Probably because it is so darn exciting!!! We love it when someone has a special day and gets to receive gifts. I was recently able to experience the part of receiver, Mother's Day... "crazy laugh."
So Bayli, being a 4 yr old, made lots of beautiful art projects during the week building up to the day. In preschool she made a beautiful picture of she and I walking on rocks to school-so cute. She gave me this picture and I put it on the fridge. I love the faces. It is still on my fridge.


At her next preschool class she made me a card with her hand print on it. Also very cute. She did not give me this picture though. Instead, she kept re-wrapping her card in dolly blankets and buckets. Then, she would knock on the door to whatever room I was in and run and hide. To my surprise after surprise, I would find this beautifully packaged gift and unwrap. This occurred at least 10 times. Then I realized that she was mixing up Valentine's Day with Mother's Day. I think that it was because she had a heart on this drawing-who knows the mind of a 4 yr old? I never did get to keep this gift.








































On the Friday before Mother's Day, Bayli went to church to make another gift. I did not get to know the details, "it's a secret mom, you will get it on Mother's Day." When the big day finally arrived, I was so eager to see what she had made me. When I opened it up, this is what I found...


I was expecting another darling picture of maybe her and I or our family-it being this big day and all. I knew that she could draw people, she had just given me a beautiful picture a few days prior. So, I lovingly asked her what it was a picture of. And this was the response:

Bayli-"it's a snaggle waggle trap"
Me-what is a snaggle waggle trap?
Bayli-it catches rats from the future
Me-ohhh, a snaggle waggle trap (duh-I should have known)
Bayli-yeah, but this one has a dead rat in it
I then very slowly responded...oh.

No smiling faces, no rainbow hair, no holding hands, no pictures of mommies, no pictures of anything that I had expected! It then hit me, my daughter is trully one of a kind. If I always received everything that I had expected, where would the fun be? I need these moments to ground me and open my eyes like my darling daughter.
I got the privilege of having the snaggle waggle trap hang on my fridge for almost one afternoon. Then, the original artist reclaimed ownership and I haven't seen it since.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa! I just found your blog! It's cute! I'm adding it to my blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds just like her and her imagination. She is so clever!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails